Forms of hosting services
A hosting service suggests saving and/or sharing certain content on a server run by a web hosting supplier. There are different forms of hosting services utilized for different ends, so let's explore them. Doing so, you can choose what you need, based on whether you'd like to own a blog, mails, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution made available by various hosts, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services are frequently supported by showing adverts next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular interval of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would split the workload between autonomous hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving different web hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a type of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you want to share a huge number of images with pals or colleagues since the solution is mostly free. You will receive a random link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to taking care of your electronic mail accounts. Some firms offer web hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you wish to possess an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can create electronic mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video clip, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video brings about a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and a few hundred site viewers, you may have difficulty with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will permit you to administer as many video files as you desire without worrying about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to keep a web site. To some degree, it comprises all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and email aliases, upload video files, and so on. At suptime, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting solutions that permit you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in one place. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting plan may be better or worse compared with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for particular content only.